About Me

My photo
Usually when I write my "About me" it always starts off with : I'm a wife and mother of 3. Well... this time I'll try to talk About ME. I am a free-spirited woman that loves to spend time with family and friends. I love seeking new opportunities to make money using my creative talents. I love music and writing.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Growing as a Williams Child

Being born a Williams has always been a privilege for me.  My grandmother had 15 children.  Two of which passed away, one at birth and the other as a young man.  My family is full of strong women.  All of which are very different.  They could all be depended on for their own personal, unique qualities.  My childhood was one that I cherise trememdously.  I grew up amongst cousins that were close in age and others that were older and younger.  We were each other's best friends.  The anchor was always my Aunt Rachel and Maine Avenue.  Maine Avenue was the "Madea" house of our family.  It was the place family could come when they found themselves in a financial bind. Or to get away.  Or doubled as a family reunion location.  Sunday dinners were family reunions.  There were so many of us.  As a child, I tried to write down all those in our family and extended family and I think I quit at 200.  Lord, talk about following God's commission to be fruitful! 

I was surrounded by my 3 cousins... Dominique, Brenda (Bee Bee) and Tyanna.  We are close in age and spent most of our childhood together.  Tyanna was the spoiled one (she was an only child) that had all the toys.  Bee Bee was the baby.  Dominique was the tough one.  And passive all at the same time.  Still is... I don't understand it but it is what makes her so very special.  Dominique and Bee Bee's house was the place to be.  My Aunt Brenda and Uncle Tyrone had 5 kids, so there was always something fun going on there.  Friday was pizza night from Marco Polo's pizza shop up the street.  Dinner was always interesting.  We'd all be packed at the dinner table, some eating on the deep freezer.  Prayer was said with one eye open, because whoever was goofing off during prayer got a swift smack.  LOL!  My cousin Damion was usually the one getting tagged for acting up.

We all attended the same elementary school, Liberty Elementary.  Walking back and forth to school, we looked like a gang.  I will never forget getting bullied by this little punk kid, Derrick Moore in 2nd grade.  He and T'Shona Martin used to kick my butt.  Until one day, I finally got tired of it and told my cousin Damion.  He was in the 5th or 6th grade then.  Needless to say, that was the last day Derrick tried anything.  But, believe it or not, WE got in trouble for it. I was called to the library for a meeting with the principal and I remember her asking, "So, you get your family to fight your battles for you?"  At that young age, that even confused me... Yeah, it deserved a WTF????  I guess our presence was a little threatening.  Strength in numbers is such a true statement.

Every weekend, my family had what would come to be known as "record parties".  These were great!  The adults spent the evenings together singing along with the vinyl records and the kids played upstairs... toys everywhere.  Our queue to come downstairs was when we'd here "Reasons" by Earth, Wind and Fire being played.  This was one we all got in on.  They'd party into the wee hours of the night. 

Family for us was biological and extended.  Anyone who felt like family was considered family.  And still is.  Uncles and Aunts that were married to our family were revered and respected as if they were around since birth.  One of our favorites was Uncle Clois.  He was funny just like the rest of the men in our family.  As I type, I am realizing that the women were strong and serious and the men, all of them, were lighthearted and funny.  It made for great, lasting marriages.  There aren't many women in our family that are married, but at the same time, there aren't many divorces either.  Not that I have seen in my lifetime anyway.  Now that I think about it, I think my divorce may have been one of the first... Wow!  But, that's a whole 'nother blog. 

Fun for us was crabbing and fishing at Fort Smallwood pier.  I will never forget the one trip when I suddenly couldn't find my dad.  We all looked around for him, he was nowhere to be found.  Until finally we looked up and saw that he had swam a few hundred yards out to a tower erected in the water and had climbed up on it.  We spotted him because he was wearing neon colored psychedelic Speedos.  All we could do was laugh and shake our head.  That was Norman for you for sure!  That was a great day, but I remember the night ending so poorly.  I was riding in the car with my dad, Uncle Clois, and cousin Mike.  Of course, out fishing mean drinking beer as well.  Unfortunately, my dad was pulled over 5 blocks from home and was arrested for DUI.  Mike and I had to be driven home by the police.  That was the first time I'd seen with my own eyes the problems my dad was having with DUI.  I cried the whole ride. 

Another family tradition was Rock n Bowl nights.  One of the greatest nights of my childhood was one I spent with my dad.  The earlier part of the evening he took me to see Rick Flair and Lex Luger of the WWF wrestle in a cage match!  We had floor seats, but I was too short to see anything.  Even when he put me on his shoulders.  So, after the intermission, we found some level 100 seats and had a great time!  I'm sure he wished he'd saved his money on those seats.  But, as an adult, I appreciate even more what he did.  Afterwards, we met with family at Shake n Bake bowling alley for Rock n Bowl.  My family was on fire that night!  Shout outs to us by the DJ and everything.  My mom was home, almost ready to deliver my brother.  So, it was just him and I!  And I loved it. 

Just like any other family, we have our flaws, ups and downs.  But, what makes being a Williams a privilege is the unmatchable love and dedication we have always had for one another.  We have always been a strong family and are striving to keep those bonds with future generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment